Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Hair..

Figured I'd talk a little bit about my hair. I have been natural for almost 9 years now and these are my second set of locs. How I came to locs is on one fateful day, I allowed someone other than myself touch my hair. I was one who colored, relaxed, weaved, braided and everything else to my hair, so I figured I needed a break and would let someone else do my hair. Well, I had a couple of little signs that this particular day would NOT be a good one. First off, the lady is applying my relaxer, after its been in for awhile, I tell her its starting to burn. She tells me oh just a lil longer, it will be fine...WTF?!?! Im like no, take it out its burning. So she finally obliges. She washed my hair, conditioned, roller set my hair then put me under the dryer. I come out the dryer and she proceeds to take out my rollers and flat iron my hair. Heres were things take a terrible turn..she takes the flat iron out the stove..doesn't even get the chance to fan it to try and cool it off....AND
DROPS IT DEAD ON MY NECK!!! The pain was so excruciating that when I yelled no sound came out. Little kids ran next door to the bodega buying icee's to put on my neck and all you could hear were gasps throughout the salon. As I stood up, with a big 50 cent icee strapped to my neck, I calmly snatched the cape off, grabbed my purse and left..(you didnt think she was getting paid did ya? lol) That slow walk home put so many thoughts in my head like, "dammit Tasha, look what being lazy got you" and "you should really go back and beat that trick down" but I digress lol. I went home and a few days later, i had severe breakage around my hairline which forced me to rock my hair parted in the middle to cover it, as well as walk around reeking of Sulfur 8 grease trying to grow my hair back. That was the last straw for me, so for months I kept going uptown to Harlem to get my hair braided every 6 weeks. Every time I went, i would cut some of the relaxed hair off. I did this for approximately 10 months before I went and did the big chop. I went to NuTribe salon in my native Queens and started my journey of natural hair. As I sat in the chair watching the hairdresser coil up my hair i went through so many emotions, what am I doing? i'ma look a hot ass mess things of that nature. I was so embarrassed that i held the towel up in front of my face to hide. When the hairdresser asked me what I doing, I replied "I'm ugly, I look horrible" He replied that I didnt look ugly and that I looked even more beautiful than when i came in. He told me that I've been conditioned so long that my nice relaxed hair equated to beauty that I didnt realize what true beauty in its natural form was. Over time, I got used to my hair, not gonna front but the first year was hell lol. My lil buds had minds of their own and i used to wake up with them going every which way. Now here I am, 4 years later, loving my hair, loving its versatility and loving to see more and more ladies with their hair in its natural form. To me, its like a special society, if u see someone with natural hair whether its locs, twist out or a 'fro, u can strike up a convo just like that. What I don't like are the stupid questions, "can you take those out?", "do you wash your hair?" (WTF @ that one) and my number one pet peeve are those who walk up to me and try to touch my hair UGHHHHHH!!! i had to tone down my reflexes from damn near smackin folks for doing that lol. Anyway, i'm not knocking those who are still rockin' their relaxed hair, these are just personal opinions and insights. I'll post up the products that I use soon.


This was approximately a lil past the 1st year




Rockin a Bun


lil over 3 yrs

and some of my FOTD's i posted u can see the length

4 comments:

yummy411 said...

that was so inspiring! i'm not sure if i shared my experience and why i chopped. if i haven't i will soon. i just did a post on my hair. do you have posts about products you use or your loctician? you'll def have to share with me!!

Amina said...

your story touched me! your locks are so beautiful and you are just rocking them!
can you do a post about the products you use and how you maintain them?
thank you

Wanda B said...

Hi... I'm going to start locs.. I have been rocking natural hair for at least 10-12 years... usually cute boy cuts. I was getting my hair done at Nu-Tribe in Jamaica... I was just admiring how gorgeous your locs are. Could you tell me who at Nu-Tribe did your hair? I would love it if my locs turned out like yours. Thanks

sildenafil said...

Your hair is beautiful I wish be like you! I've been visiting the blog since the first entry done and you shall share all about this entry. most of the people can't understand the importance around the hair issue. 23jj